Tuesday 17 July 2012

Treasured Finds - The thrill of the chase

Rain, and other frustrations, has stopped play for the past few months and I have not been able to visit my usual haunts to stack up on vintage goodies or just to have my usual vintage fix.  I was therefore suffering a tadge from withdrawal symptoms, particularly when reading other blogs where purchases have been displayed in all their glory, so I was rather excited this weekend to be able to go to a flea market and a car boot fair and thought I would share my own treasured finds with you.

Eager and armed in anticipation (sturdy shoes, plenty of loose change along with His Nibs to carry items) I set off at a brisk pace with His Nibs trailing behind me. He knows when I have spotted something of interest by the (rather embarrassing, apparently) high pitched squeak that I emit – I have the ability, I am told, to home in on the tiniest vintage goody from 200 yards in a snow storm and (again causing the greatest embarrassment to his nibs), have trampled and elbowed (not consciously you understand) in a very ugly and unladylike manner, any unwitting persons coming between me and the spotted item, in my eagerness to bag the goody.
Anyway, enough said - I am sure any vintage addict who loves the thrill of the chase fully understands and appreciates so here are my latest finds that I sit and admire, drool over and yes ...... sometimes, stroke.

A 60’s child's sewing machine complete with (smirk) original carry case sporting the previous owners name written inside in her neatest hand. The machine sews beautifully with a very satisfying ‘chukkerty’ sound as you turn the handle and the most adorable teeny tiny chain stitch ever.


A tin plate vintage child’s shop till with a very pleasing ‘kerching’ when you ring up a sale, the little price tags  pop up in the pre-decimal ‘£’ and ‘d’ and the little money drawer opens.
A child’s 1930’2 abacus with the most gloriously coloured beads.

A 50’s Persil advertisement sign – I just love the expression of sheer joy on her face.

A soft sumptuous blanket edged in candy pink stripes – great for picnics or snuggling up in vintage caravans (only two weeks and three days to go…..)
A minute pack of cards with a delightful Scottie dog picture, a cute baby blue switch (not sure what I will do with that yet) and a delightful mother of pearl buckle

A stash of vintage thread

One much loved Rupert Bear annual

And finally ..... a gorgeously rounded 1930’s lemon yellow teapot complete with built in honeycomb shaped tea cosy with lemon Bakelite handle with the sweetest matching little milk jug, also complete with its very own cosy. This, I absolutely love and made His Nibs drink copious amounts of tea all afternoon so that I could use it and oh, how beautifully it pours.


 The naked teapot

PS Whilst uploading the photo's for my post the postman came and delivered a lovely letter from my friend Bren in Devon. Bren sent me a card which had reminded her of me and I can see why ......... The picture taken from a painting by Jenny Beck called Chickens in the Garden depicts one of my favourite pastimes - gardening in the veg patch (complete with hat) with my girls pecking away around me and my potting shed door open ... thank you Bren - you made my day.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it Bridget it was made with you in mind! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - it will be added once it has been verified